Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
During drop off or pick up times, you may enter the building through the main entrance on Eskridge Terrace, through either of the entrances adjacent to the blacktop or through the side entrance. You should NEVER use the Staff Parking Lot entrance (or Parking Lot). At all other times, you must use the main entrance when escorting your children into the building as all other doors are kept locked during the school day for security. The exterior door at the top of the steps from Hurst Terrace is locked at all times. If this door is used to exit building, please ensure it is closed behind you to ensure safety.
- Students should not arrive at school before 8:40 a.m. unless they are enrolled in the Before School Program.
- Pre-Kindergarten students should be escorted to their classrooms using the school’s main entrance.
- All other classes should line up by class groups on the blacktop.
- Classes are escorted to and from the blacktop by their classroom teachers.
- On inclement weather days the students will line up in the gymnasium instead of on the blacktop.
All children who do not walk home, or are not enrolled in the Key Extended Hours Program (KEHP), should be picked up promptly at the 3:15 p.m. dismissal. There is no supervision for children after 3:15 p.m. Please do not tell your child to play on the playground and wait for you after school. Any children not picked up by 3:30 p.m. will be escorted to front office.
Driving, Drop-off and Parking
Finding legal, available parking can be challenging in the immediate Key School vicinity. Near-by parents and students are strongly encouraged to walk or bike to school. Others should consider parking near school and walking the rest of the way, forming walking or driving carpools with friends, leaving home a few minutes earlier to allow enough time for commuting, or taking advantage of the signage and drop-off opportunity at the Eskridge Terrace entrance.
Rules for morning drop-off:
- Please observe the No Parking / No Standing Zone immediately in front of the school’s main entrance. This zone will be marked by traffic cones and enforced by school security personnel. Parking is otherwise available on both sides of Dana Place and Hurst Terrace.
- When dropping off your children by car, please observe the traffic signs and follow the school traffic pattern to assure a necessary one-way flow of traffic (clockwise around the school block – SEE MAP):
- Drive north along Hurst Terrace, turn right and head east on Garfield Street, turn right and continue south on Eskridge Terrace to main entrance
- Drop off your children in the No Parking / No Standing Zone, continue to the end of Eskridge Terrace. DRIVERS MUST REMAIN IN VEHICLE
- Parents may not use the staff parking lot or driveway for any reason. This includes turning around, dropping off, “standing” or parking.
These rules are imposed for the safety of our students and apply to ALL parents.