Since 1928 Key School has taught children from the Palisades and across Washington, D.C. The school is widely known for its academic excellence, diverse student body, dedicated and innovative teachers, and committed parents. Extensive capital improvement of Key Elementary was completed in fall 2003. The renovated and expanded school currently enrolls approximately 340 students . Facilities include bright, spacious classrooms, a modern, fully automated library with more than 5,000 volumes that support the curriculum and student interests, state-of-the-art computer and science labs, a gymnasium, combined cafeteria and auditorium, and a “pro-green” artificial grass athletic field.
Efforts are currently underway to renovate the playground and outdoor area – link to PIF.
Use of Outdoor Facilities
The playground is off limits to groups engaged in organized play from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm every weekday that school is in session. At all other times the playground is open to the public on a first-come first-serve basis.
These rules are enforced by the school staff during school hours. Before and after school parents and caregivers are responsible for the supervision of the children in their care and for adherence to the playground rules while on school property.
- No climbing on the walls, fences, or basketball hoops
- No playing on handrails
- No playing on or climbing trees
- No shoes off at any time on the playground
- No glass on the playground
- One person on a swing at a time and no jumping off the swing
- No climbing on the tunnel of slides
- No fighting, wrestling or other pushing
- Always respect and listen to duty personnel
- No leaving the playground without permission