Attendees: David Landeryou, Jennifer Green, Kelly Penfield, Susan Haese, Darcy Langdon, Kenya Riley, Tricia Duncan, Jessica Davis, Ali Kinahan, Jessica Kramer, Stephanie Shott, Chris McLain, Ioli Filmiridis, Brett Colton, Brian Bennett
1. Principal’s Report
- Math Night was great – good turnout, good feedback from parents, great to engage parents
- PE inquiries from PTO regarding recent Washington Post article about how many PE minutes are recommended – PTO will forward article and administration will respond
2. Teacher’s Report
- Congratulations to Mr Landeryou completing his PhD!
- Proposal from teachers: Breathe for Change – coming to DC this summer, ties in well with 4 R’s – for teachers only. 18-day training. Would PTO consider reimbursing teacher development? Teaches teachers to use mindfulness, community building, carry through it with students and go back to train their colleagues. Kids feed off our energy. $2,650. Susan Haese will send further details.
- Socio-emotional team started at DCPS this year
3. Treasurer’s Report
- Tree sale far less than anticipated because of weather and move back from possible Wells Fargo location to Key parking lot. Tree amigos hoping to sell further trees, wreaths etc in coming days
- Suggest adjusting the number of trees closer to delivery based on location of sale
- Harvest Festival also coming in under
- Need more focus collectively on being thoughtful on budget constraints. We rely on committee chairs to be responsible for their budgets given the expectations on what they will need raise
4. Corresponding Secretary Report
- Received thus far:
- $22,150 Bulk Supplies
- $70,840 PTO Dues
- $7,640 tech
- $5,290 art
- $2,475 scholarships (extra if they round up or give more for art & tech)
- Room parent communication NOW before end of year and NW@K: give what you can, target those that haven’t paid yet. Include bulleted list of things PTO pays for – teachers aides in particular, computers, aftercare program. Also include what other schools are charging and tax deductibility. Especially to younger families. Email should come from keyschooltreasurer email address. Plus regular room parent digest bullet point. Send by next week. Jessica K to send text to Ioli.
5. KEHP Report
- Movement on waiting list that enabled some openings
- Holiday gift cards will go to KEHP staff – comes out of salaries and is in the budget
6. Tree Sale
- Sales under what expected (see above under Treasurer)
- 110 trees left, teachers can now purchase for half price, wreath sales at pick up
- At the end of the week they may be sold at Wells Fargo this weekend and then donated or sell back some of the trees to vendors
7. Math Night Recap
- Informative and fun – great reviews from parents and would like to do it again
- Incorporating the kids was fantastic
- Recommend putting kids in another area during presentations
- Teachers did a great job
- Adding Math page with links forthcoming
- Science Fair will be doing a page on the site
- Need to promote that there is a new website with resources for parents. NW@K is even on the website!
- Suggest to include screenshot of homepage and send to room parents to share with all parents
9. Holiday Shop
- Next week – Wed, Thursday, Friday. Tennis will be moved out of the gym on Friday. Will sell ornaments as well
- New parents running it this year!
- Will keep presents under the tables in the gym between afternoons
- Adam Kirschenbaum is taking it over and has website loaded almost ready
- Registration will run for two weeks starting next week
- Information will be sent to parents this week
- Per Colton suggestion: consider increase in pay for teachers to motivate them to run one and consider small increase in tuition as a result
- Budget process begins in February
- Feb 4th first allocation will be released and finalized by February 22
12. PTO Recommendation for transparency and clear outline of school’s policy regarding incidents of using hate-speech, bullying, etc.
- STATEMENT FROM PTO: Based on a recent playground incident and the uncertainty surrounding what steps, if any, were taken, and in effort to bring transparency and address direct parent concerns, which we have received an overwhelming amount of, we recommend communicating to the larger Key community what Key’s policies and protocols are regarding incidents using hate-speech, bullying, and other behavior requiring disciplinary action.
- Discussion among the group:
- Request a policy be in place that is clear and in accordance with DCPS policy
- Not an isolated incident
- Opportunity to create a safe space for children where children are assured that when they bring forward concerns they are addressed with all involved parties and parents
- Accountability needs to be addressed and then move to healing. Parents hope to see leadership in training and learning
- PTO can suggest programs and resources, create a community task force with a partnership between parents and administration. Jessica K will provide resources suggested by parents to Ms. Penfield
- PTO will pay for aides to come in for professional development day to receive training as well
- Administration response:
- Leadership team has met and talking about how to address this with faculty with the goal of ensuring all kids are taken care of properly.
- Plan to address the students directly and educate them about expectations of behavior
- Like to plan a community forum led by 4 R’s consultant
- Administration will report back on possible dates for the forum
- Missteps were made – need to make sure incidents are communicated to the right people
13. New Business
- PTO provides gift cards to all staff and faculty – ordered by parent through their Amex. Note for future years: needs to be ordered in advance because of the quantity.