Attendees: David Landeryou, Kelly Penfield, Sharon Scholem, Alison Kinnahan, Jessica Kramer, Adam Kirschenbaum, Anne Tsai Bennett, Brian Bennett
1. Approve last month’s minutes
- Minutes approved.
2. Principal’s Report
- Email going out about the start of the school year with schedule, information about supplies, staff updates, DCPS parent university info will be included.
- Teachers will have video conferences with families to help with understanding the guidelines and technology for learning in the home environment during the first two days of school.
- There is a plan and a schedule in place, and the school will review them with the families.
- Modeling the start of the year one on one as they do in PK to help facilitate connections with families.
- There is no transition from summer to school, getting people acclimated to starting school would be helpful, perhaps an assignment to get them thinking about school (e.g., Tic tac toe board of activities that students can choose from).
- Parent University through DCPS is offering sessions for parents (10 will be offered through fall).
- Class lists and teacher assignments are going out on the 24th.
- Fundations and Eureka books, manipulatives, K–5th getting reading anthologies will be distributed as materials.
- Technology Survey — Computers will be distributed at Key with materials and any stuff that kids left from last year. There are not a lot of technology requests, less than 50 percent response rate so far.
- Staffing update: Ms. Ward will be on maternity leave in the first two weeks of September. A long-term sub will be filling in for her and has been identified. PTO agreed to pay for the sub to attend the family meetings during the first week of school.
3. Teacher’s Report
- Please route information to J. Green on any families struggling to get supplies.
- If teachers need anything, reach out to PTO or J. Green to let them know.
- Classroom fund is still the same ($1,000) per class, but other needs can be addressed beyond that.
4. Membership Coordinator Report
- Nine families have paid dues after NW@K email was sent.
- Filmore will be providing art and music instruction, there are no specifics. Instruments from last year can be dropped off at Key. Principal Landeryou will send out a message about turning in instruments.
- Directory update: AtoZ is offering to ship directories directly to families at $1 per directory. Teachers would get them at school. They could also be shipped to school and picked up with supplies. This is tabled for now.
5. Treasurer’s Report
- Ended last year with a surplus, we have a cushion for this year. Funding will start becoming a problem beyond this year.
- Core funding is available, additional expenditures need to be reviewed.
6. KEHP Update
- We need to clarify to parents about KEHP enrollment and procedures to families. Ms. Conway is fielding questions from families.
- KEHP teachers would like to claim unemployment, they are not sure what forms they would need from PTO. Kate offered to reach out to them to help; she has been assisting people in this regard.
7. LSAT Update
- Need a fourth member, we are down a member. Jessica suggested Tim Johnson for chair.
- Discussion with DCPS regarding Key repairs – Central Office will visit on Wednesday. There is a list of Key repairs that are on the radar (the roof and the cafeteria are big items to push).
- Money allocated for the renovation of Key and Stoddert was reappropriated in June to create a new elementary school (Foxhall ES) on Hardy Park (not old Hardy).
- Purchase of GDS — DC made a bid for a Middle School. We are still advocating for funds to renovate Key school.
8. Equity Team Update
- Jessi echoed the need to clarify that all should be encouraged to ask for technology if they need a device — the equity team is fielding questions about this.
- Dialogue groups have been happening over the last few months, some through Kindred and other unofficial conversations. There is motivation to continue this work.
- The Kindred contract is being finalized. There will be staff groups and parent groups. We need to recruit for that.
- There is a meeting on 8/18 to ramp up the infrastructure and a refresher email will be going out.
9. New Business
- Aide Salary & Contract: Four aides are currently on contract for Key this year. 4 percent increase in payment to aides (COLA) approved.
- Zoom Account Purchase ($15/month): Proposing an account so we can have class parent meetings. Teams is opening up to 40+ people. Tabled this and decide how Teams works with the PK meeting with parents.
- Sandy Choi is making Key Penguin masks; this is more of a community event than to make money. Other community building ideas include Pumpkin Contest, Grade-Level Face Yearbook (having kids design a page about themselves, collect and create a book).
- Tree sale will go forward. We will have a website to pre-order trees. We plan to use the driveway. Finding out about permits.
- Flu Clinic: Flu shots have been ordered. It can happen in the breezeway. Sign-ups will go out.
- Backend Computer Service: Jessica would like to add a budget item to pay someone to keep up the back end of the website. She estimates $600 for the year. Approved.
- Enrollment update: David indicated that our numbers are close to the projections. We need families to complete the process.
- Next Exec Meeting changed from Monday, September 7, at 5:30 (first Monday of the month) to Tuesday, September 8, at 5:30 due to holiday.