Local School Advisory Team Meeting Minutes – 20 December 2019, 8:00am
Attendees: Sara Ritchey (chair), Brian Bennett, Michael Sriqui, Grant Follett, several parents, Key administration
1. Role of LSAT
- LSAT members discussed their role, including liaising with school leadership and the school community. It was noted that the LSAT is a relatively new process/mechanism instituted by DCPS to address concerns about transparency of DCPS budget processes.
- LSAT members noted that this meeting was public and had been advertised electronically and with physical notices around the school. While only a few parents had attended this meeting, LSAT would continue to offer opportunities to attend to the broader school community to ensure their priorities/feedback was incorporated.
2. DCPS Budget Process
- The Chair noted DCPS enrollment projections for 2020–21 had been released (372 total). They had been increased from DCPS’s initial projections, but they were still less than Principal Landeryou had petitioned for (with LSAT support). This was a disappointing outcome.
- The projections numbers would drive the budget envelope released in February. The next step for LSAT is to discuss the budget when it is released in February, and work with Principal Landeryou on that. LSAT members noted there was likely to be a very quick turn-around to finalize that —a matter of days rather than weeks. Accordingly, we need to think about priorities in advance.
3. Next Meeting, and Close
- The next meeting is likely to be in January, in advance of release of the budget.
- With no other business, the meeting closed.