Welcome to Key! We’re very excited that you’re joining our community. To help you out, we wanted to share some tips to help you navigate your new school.
- Weekly Email: Our weekly newsletter is called Next Week at Key (NW@K). It is the primary source for learning about school news, upcoming events, and ways to get involved at the school. You can sign up for this newsletter by registering for our directory here.
- School Supplies: There is no need to purchase any school supplies for your student. The PTO and the teachers take care of the ordering for you. You can pay for these on the same page as you pay the PTO dues on our website here.
- Joining the PTO: The PTO is an active participant in your student and family’s Key experience. Please consider contributing to help us keep all of our programming possible. You can find more information on how to pay your dues here.
- Calendar of Events: The PTO and the school administration work together to create a calendar of events for the year. While there are often new events detailed in NW@K, you can find the main list of dates here. On that page, you can download a pdf version of the calendar or import it into your own Google Calendar.
- School Directory: AtoZ Connect is the program that Key uses for its electronic directory. The PTO does publish a paper version that you will receive mid-Fall, but why wait? Download the app on your mobile device once you have registered here. By registering, you will also be added to the NW@K distribution list for the weekly e-mail.
- Car Drop Off: Don’t have time to wait on the blacktop with your student until school starts? The PTO has a way to help you out. Volunteers are there every morning from 8:20am to 8:50am to help your children exit your vehicle. Help keep all our children safe by familiarizing yourself with our drop off and pick up procedures here.
- Aftercare & Before Care: Our aftercare and before care programs are run by the PTO and called KEHP (Key Extended Hours Program). There is a waitlist for enrolling in the aftercare program at this time, so if you are interested, please go here to find out how to add your child’s name to the waitlist. During before care, your student will be able to enjoy a free breakfast provided by DCPS.
- Other Student Activities: In addition to KEHP, the PTO organizes a variety of opportunities for students to engage in afterschool and during Professional Development days. These include everything from karate to chess to arts & crafts to foreign language. The information on how to enroll in these classes will appear in NW&K, and you can find information under the Afterschool Programs tab. The PTO also sponsors a winter enrichment program called ASEP (After School Enrichment Program), which provides students with activities to sign up for three days a week after school during the months of January through March. More information will be posted on NW@K closer to sign up.
- Volunteering for Key: There are so many opportunities for our students and families at Key, and we can’t make those happen without your help. Volunteering is a great way to meet other Key families, and to help us make all of our events happen. There are all kinds of volunteer opportunities to help make your family’s Key experience special—from helping with a project off site to helping with pizza sales to helping build our annual haunted house. You can find information about volunteer opportunities or you can contact one of the PTO committee chairs here to express interest in helping out.
We look forward to meeting you and hope that these tips help you out. Again, welcome to Key—we’ll see you on the blacktop!